Up to $10,000 Available for Deadline Club Scholarships (2019 WINNERS SELECTED. CHECK BACK NEXT YEAR FOR THE 2020 SCHOLARSHIP CONTEST)
The Deadline Club, New York City’s chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, supports and encourages journalism in the metropolitan area through its annual scholarship program. It funds these financial awards through The Deadline Club Foundation, a 501(c)3 that it founded to help raise money for scholarships. This year, the Foundation plans to award a total of up to $10,000 through as many as four merit-based scholarships of $2,500 each.
The competition is open to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in journalism or journalism-oriented communications programs in the New York City metropolitan area, which includes all campuses within 50 miles of Columbus Circle. Recipients will be determined by a panel of journalism and communications professionals and educators that looks for students who have demonstrated, through both scholarship and practice, a potential to contribute to the highest standards and goals of the craft. The committee's decisions are final.
Scholarship recipients will be notified by email no later than May 3. Recipients are encouraged to attend The Deadline Club's annual awards dinner as its guests. The 2019 awards dinner will be held on Monday, May 20, 2019 at The Harvard Club in Manhattan, where the scholarship winners will be publicly congratulated in front of an audience of more than 200 New York City journalists. Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified, and applicants should not contact The Deadline Club to inquire about their application status.
How to Enter ************(2019 WINNERS SELECTED. CHECK BACK NEXT YEAR FOR THE 2020 SCHOLARSHIP CONTEST)********
1) Complete the application form and submit electronically on this site. The entry period will end at 5 p.m. on April 12, 2019. ***NOTE*** You should be prepared to complete all required fields and uploads at the time of submission. Please follow the file naming instructions included in the application.
2) Submit a 300-word essay (typed, double-spaced) describing your reasons for pursuing a career in journalism, your greatest accomplishments to date and how this scholarship will help take you to the next level.
3) In 1000 characters or less describe the impact this scholarship would have on your pursuit of a journalism education. ***Note*** This is included as a specific question on the application form.
4) Submit three to five previously published audio, video, writing or multimedia samples.
5) Submit two letters of recommendation, at least one of which is from an educator familiar with your academic record. If the person writing your letter of recommendation prefers that you not see it, it can be emailed to email@example.com.
Please note that incomplete applications as well as those that do not comply with the guidelines in the Eligibility Rules will be disqualified.
Eligible students include both undergraduate and graduate students majoring in journalism or a journalism-oriented communications program at colleges and universities in the New York City metropolitan area, which includes all campuses within a 50-mile radius of Columbus Circle.
Prospective students who have been accepted by a qualifying program in the New York metropolitan area, and who plan to enroll by September, are eligible to apply provided they meet all other criteria. They do not need to be currently enrolled in a New York metropolitan area school. However, they will not receive their award until they provide evidence of official enrollment in a qualifying program; Scholarship winners will receive a yearlong membership in a student SPJ chapter or The Deadline Club.
The Deadline Club has made it easier and cheaper for students to join. The Club has opened up membership to all local journalism students, not just those who do not have a student SPJ chapter on their campus. The Club also recently reduced the rate of a student membership. Student SPJ members pay local chapter dues of just $20, instead of $30 for Professional and Associate SPJ members.